Sunday 24 May 2015

Hangovers, Eurovision & Russia's attempt at a joke....


So last night; I went to a Eurovision Party. And the next time My mate says "oh fuck working tomorrow, let's open another bottle!" I'm going to make a hasty retreat. The after-affects this morning are NOT good. Let's just say I have an IV line of coffee this morning....so wish we could get Caf-Pow in the UK. 
Yes, self-inflicted hangover-haze means instant messenger and one way cam (your cam) today...

In future; I should just learn to say "no". Still, it was a very good night, not just because of the vino collapso, but because of Eurovision as a whole - the campness and the naffness and Graham Norton's excellent commentary make for an hilarious combination.

So what of the performances? Well starting with the UK - not bad, but not a winning song, clearly. While I rather like the jazz/techno cross-over (Anybody remember Doop by Doop back in the early 90's?), the song did not really do it for Me. I had heard it before the contest and I wasn't very optimistic. I just felt the song lacked balls. As for the staging; well the art-nouveau back-drop was quirky, but the fringe dress on the female singer didn't do her any favours - except when it lit up. When it wasn't lit up; it was not at all flattering. Curvy girls should stay away from fringed-dresses...

Australia - I liked. Cute guy who reminded Me a little of Olly Murs in his whole delivery of the song. I actually felt Australia deserved more points that they received. Serbia - big girl with a VERY big voice! That girl could sing! On the other hand, Latvia's entry couldn't - the wailing witch did not do much for My ear-drums - in fact I left the room before I started to grind My teeth. 

I very much enjoyed Belgium's entry - and in fact I did vote for them. 19 year old guy who actually wrote the song. I liked the KraftWerk/Justin Timberlake feel about it. And the staging was actually very clever. Sweden, the rightful winners; of course blew the rest of the acts out of the water when it came to the staging. Very cleverly done with projections and interactive lights. That is some seriously well-timed choreography!

But Russia? Oh dear! For a start; she barely got through the song before she started blubbering and continued blubbering during the voting process right up until Russia slipped from the top spot. When Conchita asked the Russian singer "how do you feel?" she answered; "oh I just can't seem to stop crying!" No shit! You were pissing out of your eyes from the word "go" love...

For Me though; the highlight of the night was Russia's definite faux-pas when it came to dishing out the points...take a look:


Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?!! For a start, you start the greeting with "Hello from Mother Russia!" - yeah during current tensions, that is just a tad contentious....and then you make a VERY bad-taste joke....to which the boos were almost deafening. Arrogant, much?

Thank goodness they didn't win....because under the current Putin's anti-gay regime, THIS is how the arena would have looked next year...


No comments:

Post a Comment