Monday 28 July 2014

Never Rains But It Pours ....and Floods....

So there I am at 6am this morning, having been woken up by a mammoth thunderstorm. I'm disturbed from possibly the BEST night's sleep I've had in a while. Not as muggy, and sheer exhaustion meaning I have no choice but to have an really deep sleep.

So I get up, go to the toilet, watch the lightning for a bit and then decided to go back to sleep. There I am, dozing away, when I open one eye to see Puss has suddenly jumped up and has a look of panic in his eyes. I look around the room, and then feel the nausea rising....My flat...water flooding in, My belongings are floating by Me, and water is literally pouring into m7My flat. Yes, I've been flooded.

I've never been flooded before. Coming from up t'North, it's not something which usually happens to Me. Normally I've lived on a hill, so I've managed to escape it. But seeing all that dirty, smelly water flowing into My flat, and not being able to do anything to stop it - the most frightening experience I've ever encountered.

The cat jumped off the bed and disappeared. I was frantically searching for him, whilst trying to save My phone and My laptop - and in turn My livelihood. Fortunately, I managed to rescue both. The cat had jumped on to the clothing rail to get as far away from the water as possible. Meanwhile I'm paddling, and the water is past My ankles. And the electricity circuit blows - right in the middle of trying to call the fire brigade. I was panicking - as the water got deeper, I was scared Puss would drown and I had scary visions of his body floating in the water - I think that was the most disturbing thing about it really. Puss is like a child to Me - so My maternal instinct kicked in - balls to My feet walking around in sewage - I HAD to save My cat. But he's okay - he stayed high above the water until the flooding receded.

Unfortunately, I was not the only one to be flooded. Several other homes on My street suffered the same fate. We experienced two week's worth of rain in just one hour. Scary.

So now, I'm technically a refugee. I'm staying at a friends, while the insurers crack on and sanitize, clean and redecorate My flat. I'm separated from poor Puss, because he DIDN'T want to move. My friend's place is near a busy road - safer to leave Puss where he is. He's quite happy - fortunately, his favourite spot on the sofa is dry - so he's sleeping there and I'm going over several times a day for feeding time and cuddles. Still missing him though - no night time cuddles from him - I miss My little furbaby so much it hurts.

Obviously, you've probably guessed by now that I won't be taking any bookings until My flat is clean and sorted and I can move back in again. I hope it won't be too long. Living out of bin liners is NOT good.

That thing I said last week about Mother Nature being amazing? I take it back - she's a total cow right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment