Sunday 17 March 2013

British Comedy - Has it lost it's way?

Last night I was watching something to do with Comic Relief, where they show various clips of Comic Relief Sketches. It was presented by that annoying idiot from Radio 1 Breakfast, who tried his best to crack a few jokes and pretty much failed miserably.

But it wasn't that which got Me thinking. It was the state of british comedy today. They showed a classic comedy sketch and a modern comedy sketch - and you know, not once did I laugh at the modern ones. Perhaps its an age thing, or maybe its the fact that comedy has kind of lost its way.

Let's take the clip below for example. Yes, it's a classic and many will have seen this so many times. But you still can't help but laugh at it. This is the greatest comedy duo (in My opinion anyway) at their finest:



Now let's look at this diabolical piece of pap below. Ok, the younger audience may find this hilarious. Personally, I didn't crack as much as a smile. All I thought was; "what the hell is the point of this???!"


Something is seriously wrong if this is the sort of "comedy" offered. I mean don't get Me wrong - I nearly piss Myself at watching Peter Kay, and I LOVE Mock The Week. But the "new" comedy today just leaves Me cold. 

I think the question is; since when did we go from comedy, to plain stupidity to get a laugh? Where did it all go wrong? What do other people think about this? Please leave your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment